Mitchell Report Leaks Commence

FellsPointOsFan

I'm surprised that more hasn't come out yet, but some of the broad conclusions of the Mitchell report are being leaked via ESPN.com...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3152573

Apparently there are as many as 80 names mentioned (I still believe that's blatantly unfair).

The key ideas seem sound to me (if they are going to do this at all). I'm a little queasy about "non-analytical positives," however.

Besides either appointing an independent administrator or hiring an outside agency to run the program (MLB currently administers the program in conjunction with the Players Association), baseball should:

• Improve to "state-of-the-art" testing, including additional year-round tests with fewer opportunities for players to escape detection.

• Allow the testing administrator to actively investigate "non-analytical positives," meaning information that can show a player violated the doping policy in the absence of a positive urine test. Jay Gibbons and Jose Guillen, for example, were recently suspended after MLB received information from law enforcement sources documenting that the players had received banned drugs. Neither failed a drug test.

• Improve player education about performance-enhancing drugs.

• Allow greater transparency in the program, such as naming the drugs that players test positive for. Some players try to dodge responsibility for positive tests by saying they unwittingly took a tainted diet supplement. Certain drugs could not possibly have come from supplements, but because baseball doesn't name the substances it discovers, the press and public can't determine whether the player is telling the truth.

I'm sure by tomorrow morning's papers, there will be more, including names.

At this point, I am more interested to see how people react to the "blacklist" than to find out who was unlucky enough to get mentioned.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to hear that it presents some solutions and explores the role of the owners, union, and other non-players. If only we could get the scandal hungry public to focus on that instead of playing "gotcha" games with the list. :002_smad:

Yeah. Good luck with that!

I agree that (this part at least) sounds much more responsible and balanced than I would have expected.

The NYT chimes in...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/13/sports/baseball/13mitchell.html?ref=sports

Apparently the report draws on three "primary sources" to name names.

-the Mets clubhouse kid;

-the Albany County investigation of a ring of pharmacies and aging clinics;

-and a cool-sounding "mystery source"

oooooooooh!

The NYT chimes in...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/13/sports/baseball/13mitchell.html?ref=sports

Apparently the report draws on three "primary sources" to name names.

-the Mets clubhouse kid;

-the Albany County investigation of a ring of pharmacies and aging clinics;

-and a cool-sounding "mystery source"

oooooooooh!

Jason Giambi! He'll be popular in the clubhouse.

In Operation Raw Deal, the DEA and FDA confiscated numerous computers with lists of clientele. This article, reprinted from Yahoo Sports speculates that the Feds may have a list of hundreds of thousands of steroid and hGH clients.

The Albany County DA investigation into Signature was nothing compared to Operation Raw Deal and Operation Gear Grinder.

Apparently Mike & Mad Dog on WFAN got some off-the-record leaks during the show today. They did not name names, but people who saw the simul-telecast on YES said Mike looked like he was going to puke. They did say that "tomorrow is going to be very ugly" and "there are names no one will expect." Mike is a huge Yankees fan, so my guess is that a fairly major name from New York will be on the list.

I'm really dreading this. I'm trying to pretend I don't care because really, releasing this report won't change the past, but there are a lot of players that I would be very upset to see on the list, and I just know I won't be able to look at them the same way again if they're implicated. I can't help it.

Apparently Mike & Mad Dog on WFAN got some off-the-record leaks during the show today. They did not name names, but people who saw the simul-telecast on YES said Mike looked like he was going to puke. They did say that "tomorrow is going to be very ugly" and "there are names no one will expect." Mike is a huge Yankees fan, so my guess is that a fairly major name from New York will be on the list.

I'm really dreading this. I'm trying to pretend I don't care because really, releasing this report won't change the past, but there are a lot of players that I would be very upset to see on the list, and I just know I won't be able to look at them the same way again if they're implicated. I can't help it.

Let it be Jeter...let it be Jeter...let it be Jeter...

I listened to them on the way home from work today. I think Francessa was just as worried about former Yankees as current ones. The ones that seemed to bother him the most if they were on the list were Pettite, Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neill.

They brought up a few names too that would be crazy side stories. For example, what if Joe Girardi is named? Would MLB think about suspending him for 15 games like Jose Guillen, even though he is now a manager? What if someone like Clemens is named? How do you view his HOF career?

Archived